Vegetable curry with pea and cauliflower
This vegetarian curry recipe makes a great midweek meal as it’s super quick and uses mainly store cupboard or frozen ingredients – perfect for those nights when you’re stuck for dinner inspiration!
- 2 onions
- 400g carrots
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tins plum tomato
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 400g frozen cauliflower
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 large pinch chilli powder, optional
- 1 pinch cinnamon, optional
- 200g sour cream
- 100g cashew nuts
- 200g basmati rice
- 1 handful coriander, chopped
1. Peel and finely chop the onions and carrots, then fry lightly in a pan along with the olive oil. Add the curry powder and fry for a further minute, stirring continuously.
2. Add the tomato purée to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes, then pour in the plum tomatoes and mash them in the pan.
3. Add the vegetable stock to the pan, stir well and season to taste with salt, chilli powder and cinnamon (if using).
4. Bring the curry to the boil, add the frozen vegetables to the pan and leave to simmer on a very low heat for 15 - 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook the basmati rice in 450ml of cold, slightly salted water for 12 minutes. Once cooked, drain and fluff with a fork.
6. When ready to serve, stir the sour cream through the curry and sprinkle over the cashew nuts and chopped coriander. Divide the cooked rice between bowls and top with a generous portion of curry.