1. Using a sharp knife, slice the tomatoes and arrange across a wide dish. Season generously with salt and pepper and a splash of olive oil and set aside to rest at room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, discard the ends of the baguette and slice the rest into even pieces – aim for 2 - 3 pieces of bread per person.
3. Brush the bread lightly with oil on both sides and place under a hot grill. Toast on both sides until lightly golden.
4. Drain the mozzarella and tear into small pieces. Shred the basil leaves and set aside until required.
5. To assemble, layer up each slice of bread with pieces of tomato, mozzarella and basil leaves. Drizzle over a little more olive oil, season with salt and pepper and serve.