Smoked haddock gnocchi with creamy lemon and spring onion sauce
Learn how to make gnocchi at home with this stylish Italian recipe. The smoked haddock could be substituted for any smoked firm fish, such as cod.
For the gnocchi
- 250g new potatoes
- 100g flour
For the fish
- 2 fillets smoked haddock
- 200ml milk
- 150ml cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ lemon, zest only, plus wedges to serve
1. Begin by preparing the potatoes for the gnocchi. Boil the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 minutes, until cooked through but not falling apart. Drain well and, once cool enough to handle, rub off their skins.
2. Transfer to a bowl and mash until completely smooth. Season well, then sprinkle over the flour and use a fork to bring the mixture together to form a firm dough (you may want to use your hands in the final stage of this).
3. Knead the dough a little, then roll into a long sausage shape, roughly 1cm thick, and slice into 3cm sections. Arrange on a tray, cover with a damp tea towel and set aside to rest.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the fish. Place the haddock fillets in a wide saucepan with a tightly fitting lid and pour over the milk and cream. Add the bay leaf and a little seasoning, then bring the liquid up to a simmer. Put the lid on, turn off the heat and leave to cook for 3 - 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets – they are cooked when the fish begins to flake.
5. Remove the fish and set aside on a warm plate and place the remaining milk mixture over a medium heat. Allow the mixture to simmer until thickened and reduced by roughly half.
6. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water up to the boil. Drop in the gnocchi and cook for 1 - 2 minutes – once the gnocchi rises to the top of the water it is cooked through – and drain.
7. Return the cooked gnocchi to the pan and pour over the milk sauce. Add the spinach and stir until wilted and the gnocchi is evenly coated in sauce. Add the spring onions and lemon zest, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
8. Divide the gnocchi between plates, pouring over any remaining sauce. Top with a haddock fillet and serve immediately with a wedge of lemon on the side.