Homemade baked beans
Make your own homemade baked beans for filling midweek meals or tasty brunches. Served with grilled sausages, or spoon over toasted bread and top with grated cheese.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 240g tins butter beans, drained
- 1 carton passata
- Olive oil
- 8 sausages
- Rosemary, leaves picked
1. Add a dash of oil to a large saucepan and place over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic and bacon for 3 - 5 minutes, then add the rosemary, paprika and a pinch of sugar.
2. Cook for a little longer, stirring well until combined, then add the beans and passata to the pan. Stir again, seasoning with salt, pepper and more paprika to taste.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for half an hour, or until thickened into a rich sauce. Alternatively, bake in the oven in a casserole dish for 30 - 40 minutes at 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6.
4. 30 minutes before serving, arrange the sausages across a baking tray lined with foil. Prick with a fork and bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. Divide the beans between bowls and top with the cooked sausages and a pinch of chopped rosemary.