Beetroot and kale soup
This striking beetroot soup has a lovely, earthy flavour thanks to the addition of kale. Serve with crusty bread for the perfect winter supper.
- 750g cooked beetroot, chopped
- 400g kale
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, or olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 200ml water
- 3 tsp horseradish
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds toasted
1. Melt the coconut oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic and celery. Cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat, or until soft but not coloured.
2. Add the beetroot, stock, water and a little seasoning to the pan, then simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, toast the seeds in a dry pan until they start to pop. Remove and set aside to cool until ready to serve.
4. Add the kale to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes, then blend until smooth – this might take several minutes. For a smoother consistency, strain the soup through a sieve into a clean pan.
5. Return the pan to the heat and stir in the horseradish and a little more oil, if required, plus seasoning to taste.
6. Divide between serving bowls and finish with a swirl of Greek yoghurt, chopped coriander and the toasted seeds.